Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Teaching.... So Much More

A couple things that people automatically assume when I say I'm a teacher:
1) I must get paid a lot (I don't). 
2) I get paid summers off (again, I don't get free $$ for not working. I choose to take less on my checks so I can have money over the summer.).
3) My life must be soooo rewarding. (Ummmm, those shining moments aren't as common as you think. If you saw a shooting star every night you looked at the sky, would would it be as special?)
4) I have a "cushy", 8-4 job. (No!! There is sooo much more than people know about!!)

Yes, teaching can rough. Yes, it can be incredibly frustrating and demanding.  There are lows, but its those highs that make this job all worth it. Today, the demands are getting more intense. The blame is constantly being shifted to teachers, and the whole child is being considered less and less.  One thing that hasn't changed for me is the fact that there's no other job in the world I'd rather do. It's so rare to have a job where you just know that you are directly affecting lives and making a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment