Saturday, July 20, 2013

Secret Saturday #1

Here's my secret: I am trying to be a runner!  I've never in my life ever considered myself to be a runner.  In fact, my trademark response when anyone asked me about running was "Are you kidding?!  I only run if something's chasing me!"  Well, I'm about to hit the sidewalks and nothing's chasing me.

Last year, I walked in my very first 5k for my 32nd birthday.  I had two goals for myself. 1) Finish in under an hour, and 2) DON'T be last!  I was thrilled to have accomplished both of them for my first time.  As I was quickly walking along, I was amazed a these people that were flying by, running the course.  I was instantly jealous.  I thought 'I wish I could do that.  It looks so bad-ass to be running like that.'  I want to try to do that.

During the school year last year, I joined my school's Running Club.  Basically, it is a group of kids (with teachers as well) running around the back field for about 20 minutes.  Another self-proclaimed non-runner teacher friend of mine also joined the club.  All year, my buddy and I walked half the field and jogged the other.  I'm not going to lie it sucked it wasn't very fun.  But, we kept at it, and now that it's summer break, my Buddy and I have has been working hard to become runners.  I will say, she has been doing AWESOME on the C25k app.  Me?  Not so much, but I keep trying.  In fact, I'm going to head out for a jog after folding clothes  after washing dishes  after watching my DVR shows  after eating breakfast NOW!

You know what's scary about letting a secret out?  The fact that you are now held accountable for it.  I now welcome those people asking me "How's the running going?"  or "How far did you run today?" I can't let myself slide back into doing nothing anymore.  I now have people (hopefully after I get some readers) that are going to be holding me accountbale.  A little bit scary but much needed.  Well, wish me luck on my run, and if I'm not back in an hour send my husband out with the car to pick me up. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment