Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Where were you?

Where were you 12 years ago today? I've been told that everyone can remember what they were doing the day President Kennedy was shot. I know the same is true for September 11, 2001.

I was working as a multi-needs classroom assistant at Westmore School. It was a typical day and I was helping a student calm down after a meltdown. I was in the back corner of the classroom, giving the student time to himself in the "Zen den". I can picture it exactly if I close my eyes, right down to the green and yellow beanbag chairs and the blue padded gym mats on the floor. Angela, another assistant, came into the classroom with a weird look on her face. She said, "Joanna, something's happened. Go into the lounge and look on the tv." So, I went and saw the news breaking that a tower was hit. At that point, they didn't realize it was an attack. The district was placed on a soft lockdown (no recess, students don't leave the building, but teachers could).

I went home for lunch, and my grandma had the TV turned on. I glanced at the news report and was stunned to see footage of a second plane hitting. I watched live news coverage of the incredible devastation that was happening. The gray ash that was blanketing New York City, people crying and bleeding. Then, I watched footage of the tower collapsing. My heart started pounding, and it broke for those people, those kids, those officers, those Americans.

I had to go back to work and I filled them in on everything I'd seen. Every teacher I passed in the hallway had a grim, heartbroken, worried expression. We knew what was happening, but we wanted to spare our students. We didn't want to scare or upset them, so we held it together. Barely...

I went home after work. My mom came home, and my brothers came by the house. We all just sat there, watching, crying, hugging... Just a feeling of utter devastation. I remember hearing my brothers tell me they heard gas would go up to $5/gal, so I'd better go fill up now! I went to get gas, driving in a daze, and apparently they weren't the only ones that heard about the price hike. I waited for 15 minutes in line for gas before filling up, then heading to my boyfriend's house.
I will never forget- I couldn't even if I tried. I will also never forget seeing the heroes step forward to help one another. The sense of unity, pride, and patriotism was incredible on September 12 and the days to follow. I pray that those families that lost a loved one are able to find peace through God's grace, and I pray that my children will never have to experience a national tragedy such as September 11, 2001.

1 comment:

  1. ...I remember seeing an American flag on every house the next day.

    ReplyDelete